Best Stream Restoration in the Bay
This category recognizes outstanding projects in the stream corridor that are explicitly designed to enhance the function, stability and ecosystem services of an urban stream.
Strong contenders in the category will:
- Be part of an integrated watershed-based restoration approach.
- Meets or exceed clearly stated objectives to improve stream habitat and reduce pollutant delivery to the Bay (some quantitative documentation is helpful here)
- Successfully withstand significant floods without failing
- Utilize an innovative and comprehensive approach to stream restoration such as floodplain reconnection, legacy sediment removal or natural channel design techniques.
- Improve biological uplift in the stream reach, enhance potential fishery habitat or restore the floodplain plant community.
- Promote public access, watershed education or neighborhood outreach along the stream corridor.