This category recognizes restoration projects that create or restore a high-quality blend of wetland or upland wildlife habitats. Depending on the number and type of projects submitted, separate awards may be made for forest creation and wetland/meadow creation projects.
Strong projects in this category will:
- Connect with other habitat areas or the stream corridor
- Treat the quality of stormwater runoff from upland development
- Attract pollinators, amphibians, songbirds, waterfowl and other wildlife to the project site.
Your project narrative should describe how the habitat you create:
- Has a strong plan to maintain habitat over time and help control invasive plants
- Utilizes native plantings suitable to the soil and water conditions at the site to create diverse habitat zones
- Results in at least 20,000 square feet of habitat that is protected from future disturbance
- Encourages access for the public to explore and learn about the habitat